A sub-committee had been constituted by the Drugs Consultative Committee (DCC) to examine issues relating to online sale of drugs. The Sub-Committee has submitted its report to the Drugs Consultative Committee. The Sub-Committee has inter alia recommended:-
- Creation of a National Portal to act as the nodal platform for transacting and monitoring online sale of drugs.
- Necessity of evolving a mechanism to register e-pharmacies.
- Geographical restrictions for operation of e-pharmacies.
- Existing licencees involved in retail sale of drugs could also register on the National Portal for carrying out online sale of drugs.
- Requirement of registration with CDSCO under the Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 1945.
- Certain categories of drugs viz. the Narcotic and Psychotropic drugs, tranquilizers, habit forming drugs and Schedule X drugs that are prone to being abused or misused be excluded from sale through e-pharmacies.
The Government has issued a notice seeking public comments on regulation of sale of drugs including introduction of an electronic platform for regulation of sale of drugs in the country.